- Financial Times: The leading industrialized countries will agree on a common position on the taxation of multinational corporations on Saturday to end a three-decade race to the bottom in corporate taxation.
- The daily telegraph: The US again created fewer jobs than expected last month as the post-Covid labor shortage slowed employment recovery.
- The times: A tweet from Elon Musk suggesting that the Tesla tycoon fell in love with Bitcoin sparked a sharp drop in the price of the cryptocurrency.
- Financial Times: Bill Ackman is on the verge of a deal with Universal Music Group in which his blank check company will acquire a 10% stake in the record company.
- The daily telegraph: The Scott Trust, the owner of the Guardian, prepares a boardroom overhaul when a dispute between its editor and the chairman over control of its future breaks out.
Business and economy
- The times: Britain is enjoying a strong economic recovery as Covid restrictions lift, but pubs and restaurants are recovering faster than city center retailers, according to a senior Bank of England official.
- Financial Times: Russia has completed laying a controversial gas pipeline to Europe despite Western sanctions, President Vladimir Putin said as he mocked US attempts to prevent its construction.
- The daily telegraph: Builders are plagued by soaring material prices as industry growth hits a seven-year high.
- Financial Times: Europe’s head of trade has called for a rapid increase in global vaccine production as the best means of combating the pandemic and has spoken out against concentrating on patent waiver.
- The guard: Getir fast-track grocery delivery company to expand into the US, France and Germany after raising more than $ 550 million in a funding round.
- The times: AstraZeneca has revamped its top team and appointed a CFO with a starter package of up to £ 8.5 million.
- The times: HSBC will split the running of its Asian operations, with one person solely responsible for its division in China, while the bank seeks to deepen ties with the country.
- The guard: The billionaire Barclay family has signed a truce to end a supreme court battle over alleged “large scale industrial espionage” in which thousands of private conversations were wiretapped at the five-star Ritz Hotel.
- The guard: A trade agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein with provisions for digital papers to reduce the time and costs of border bureaucracy after Brexit was advocated by the international trade minister Liz Truss as a “big boost”.
- The times: Apple will renew hostilities with Facebook over privacy online as it launches a new software platform for its mobile devices next week.
- The daily telegraph: The competition watchdog has launched an investigation into whether Facebook is abusing its dominance over the digital advertising market to result in heavy fines.
- The guard: Joe Biden signed an executive order banning Americans from investing in a number of Chinese companies with alleged links to defense or surveillance technology sectors.
- The guard: The EU has banned Belarusian airlines from their airspace and airports because of the forced landing of Ryanair flight FR4978 and the arrest of opposition activist and journalist Raman Pratasevich.
- Daily mail: Almost £ 800m was wiped off the market value of Easyjet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, British Airways owner IAG and aircraft engine maker Rolls-Royce as investors digested the government’s decision to remove Portugal from its “green” list.
- Daily mail: Future CEO Zillah Byng-Thorne raked in £ 5.8 million after redeeming a stock bonus.
- Daily mail: Argos Resources, the exploration company focused on the North Falkland Basin, slumped 18% as its annual results disappointed.
Share tips, comments, and bids
- The Daily Telegraph (Questor Stock Tips): KEEP RANDALL & QUILTER.
- Daily mail: Hipgnosis Songs Fund found the music catalog of a Grammy-winning songwriter and producer behind some of Lorde and Taylor Swift’s greatest hits.
- The guard: UK winemaker Chapel Down is asking the public to join a new round of funding worth up to £ 7 million that will help the company develop its North Downs vineyards and increase exports.
- The times: Cornish Lithium, a startup planning to mine lithium for electric vehicle batteries in Cornwall, is preparing to attract investors for cash valued at more than £ 80million and plans to be listed in London next year.
- Daily mail: Smart meter specialist CyanConnode rose 62% to 13.5p after raising £ 3.15m by issuing 9.5p shares; Drug development company Sareum raised a more modest £ 900,000 by issuing shares at 2.8p a pop.
- Daily Mail (Comment): Stressful times for Rishi: Chancellor has a fight on himself that will force the digital giants to pay.
- The Daily Telegraph (Commentary): Despite being bullied by Brussels, Pascal Soriot makes AstraZeneca a global powerhouse.
Saturday newspapers: G7 aims to reach agreement on global corporate taxation